What would I use to replace TBM under Mac?
Thread poster: Johanna ten Haaft
Johanna ten Haaft
Johanna ten Haaft
Netherlands
Local time: 17:47
Member (2006)
French to Dutch
+ ...
May 21

Hi, I've switched to Mac years ago because of recurrent problems with windows and have had not one single problem since. I'm running Studio and Business Manager Essential 6.1.79 under Windows/Parallels, which works fine but I still would like to switch to Mac completely. I understand there is CaféTran to replace Studio (haven't tried it yet though), but what would I use to replace TBM under Mac?... I've been looking around but haven't found anything, so suggestions would be appreciated... See more
Hi, I've switched to Mac years ago because of recurrent problems with windows and have had not one single problem since. I'm running Studio and Business Manager Essential 6.1.79 under Windows/Parallels, which works fine but I still would like to switch to Mac completely. I understand there is CaféTran to replace Studio (haven't tried it yet though), but what would I use to replace TBM under Mac?... I've been looking around but haven't found anything, so suggestions would be appreciatedCollapse

Akhikpemelo Solace

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Protemos and Wordfast Pro May 21

If you are looking for all desktop, not sure what to recommend.

Desktop CAT tools that run on Mac:
- Wordfast Pro
- OmegaT
- CafeTran

For your project management, you could look into Protemos. It is free for freelancers:
https://protemos.com/tms-for-freelance-translators.html

I would also try out some of the fully clou
... See more

- Wordfast Pro
- OmegaT
- CafeTran

For your project management, you could look into Protemos. It is free for freelancers:

I would also try out some of the fully cloud-based TMS + CAT tools:
Wordbee, SmartCAT, MateCAT, etc.

Hope this helps,
John
Collapse

Akhikpemelo Solace

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Agreed May 21

John Di Rico wrote:

- Wordfast Pro
- OmegaT
- CafeTran

I would also try out some of the fully cloud-based TMS + CAT tools:
Wordbee, SmartCAT, MateCAT, etc.

Hope this helps,
John

But don't forget to mention that Wordfast Pro does not run on Intel Macs under Sonoma 14.5

Akhikpemelo Solace

Johanna ten Haaft
Johanna ten Haaft
Netherlands
Member (2006)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Planning/invoicing seems to be the hardest to find May 21

Thanks for the suggestions, I have worked with Wordfast, also Wordbee etc. but I prefer to keep a desktop tool for translation as well so I think I'll try out CafeTran, I've read a lot of good about that. The main problem seems to be planning/invoicing, I really like TBM and I have used TO3000 a while ago but both don't run under Mac and I don't seem to be able to find something similar... I'll look into Protemos.

Akhikpemelo Solace

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TBM? May 21

What is TBM?

Akhikpemelo Solace

Johanna ten Haaft
Johanna ten Haaft
Netherlands
Member (2006)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TBM May 21

Trados Business Manager, (former BaccS). I use the stand alone version, not integrated in Studio.

[Edited at 2024-05-21 09:32 GMT]

Akhikpemelo Solace

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What would I use to replace TBM under Mac?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »