Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
Is $ 0.05 per source word a "fair amount" for translators?
Thread poster: Chiara Deaglio
Alexandra Schneeuhr
Alexandra Schneeuhr  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 11:26
English to Russian
+ ...
Everything's relative... Oct 9, 2014

when it comes to rate setting.

Tom in London wrote:

QUESTION: Is $ 0.05 per source word a "fair amount" for translators?
ANSWER: No.

Normally, if offered $0.05 per source word I wouldn't bother responding 'cause it is less than half of my minimum rate. However, I have one customer of many years for whom I am doing nearly daily website updates at about this rate, and I have nothing to complain about: the text comes in short segments that are so ridiculously easy even my dog could translate them; actually, it is more of a copy-and-paste job (you just have to replace 'white shoes' with 'off-white shoes', and that's that), and I consider spending 30-40 minutes a day on this kind of a task as a break from other work and more serious (and better paid) projects.

Giuseppe Pascarella
Giuseppe Pascarella
Italy
Local time: 10:26
English to Italian
+ ...
Ciao Dec 6, 2014

Chiara Deaglio wrote:

Hi all!

I have just come across the site of a new US agency, which is currently recruiting new translator also here in one of my language combinations (EN-IT).

I read from their website that they "charge [their] customers $.06/source word to keep [their] prices competitive and pay you $.05 per source word!", adding that "if you find another translation agency that offers such a great deal to customers to help guarantee you work flow, while also paying you such a fair amount, please let us know".

Based on your experience (I am relatively new to the translation business), are telling the truth?

[Edited at 2014-09-15 16:23 GMT]

Haigo Salow
Haigo Salow  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:26
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
It depends on how you define a translation agency Dec 7, 2014

I have a feeling that this 'translation agency doesn't do anything more than act as a middlemen between clients and translators, without providing any of the services that full service translation agencies povide to their clients, such as proofreading, editing, etc.
While still enrolled in New York University's NYU translation program one of my NYU instructors suggested that I take on some low paying jobs, in order to build a porttfolio and get some exposure. By low paying she means around
... See more
I have a feeling that this 'translation agency doesn't do anything more than act as a middlemen between clients and translators, without providing any of the services that full service translation agencies povide to their clients, such as proofreading, editing, etc.
While still enrolled in New York University's NYU translation program one of my NYU instructors suggested that I take on some low paying jobs, in order to build a porttfolio and get some exposure. By low paying she means around USD 0.10 per word.
Collapse

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:26
English to German
+ ...
Way too much ... Dec 7, 2014

Haigo Salow wrote:

While still enrolled in New York University's NYU translation program one of my NYU instructors suggested that I take on some low paying jobs, in order to build a porttfolio and get some exposure. By low paying she means around USD 0.10 per word.

How about EUR .025/word for some easy post-editing for MT?
http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_job_systems/278623-does_proz_check_job_posters.html#2373220

tietzes (X)
tietzes (X)
Japanese to German
+ ...
everything is relative Dec 7, 2014

In some eastern EU countries € 0,05 per source word are considered as much. Some translators here on Proz proudly trumpet out that as experienced translators, they don't deign to work for "less than 5 euro cents per word, so the cheapstake agencies don't bother to ask them for quotes". Everything is relative...

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
Absolutely sad Dec 7, 2014

tietzes wrote:

everything is relative

In some eastern EU countries € 0,05 per source word are considered as much. Some translators here on Proz proudly trumpet out that as experienced translators, they don't deign to work for "less than 5 euro cents per word, so the cheapstake agencies don't bother to ask them for quotes". Everything is relative...

Cheapstake? You mean cheapskate.
Who are you trying to defend?
I hold that USD .05/word is an absolute joke for any professional translator when it comes to typical translation work. Doesn't matter where you live. You're just being exploited.
It's very sad to see translators defend such practice here. The gap between people who know what they're worth and those who don't seems to widen here every day.

[Edited at 2014-12-07 18:17 GMT]

tietzes (X)
tietzes (X)
Japanese to German
+ ...
I don't defend anyone Dec 7, 2014

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

Cheapstake? You mean cheapskate.
Who are you trying to defend?
I hold that USD .05/word is an absolute joke for any professional translator when it comes to typical translation work. Doesn't matter where you live. You're just being exploited.
It's very sad to see translators defend such practice here. The gap between people who know what they're worth and those who don't seems to widen here every day.

[Edited at 2014-12-07 18:17 GMT]

Yea cheapskate. LOL
I don't defend anyone, it's just reality. I read about those things here on Proz. I wouldn't work for € 0,05 either, but in the eastern EU it seems to be a perfectly normal rate. I don't think it's a joke to this people. Cost of living is much lower than in Germany or the US, so the rates are accordingly. (Again, I'm not "defending" anyone, it's just an observation.)

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Who makes the profit? Dec 8, 2014

I wouldn't work for € 0,05 either, but in the eastern EU it seems to be a perfectly normal rate ... Cost of living is much lower than in Germany or the US, so the rates are accordingly

I wonder what profits will be made by those agencies offering 5 eurocent or less, even in those countries with a low average income and with low living costs. Sometimes there are a lot more parties involved in the whole added value process than merely end client, a single agency and the translator.

tietzes (X)
tietzes (X)
Japanese to German
+ ...
parties involved Dec 8, 2014

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Sometimes there are a lot more parties involved in the whole added value process than merely end client, a single agency and the translator.

Sure. Many agencies work mainly for other agencies that work for other agencies themselves, the translator being given lower and lower rates. That's a well-known fact.

Talking about rates in lower cost countries (e.g. eastern EU), imagine the following situation: a client in such a country contacts a local agency who engages a local translator. Why would any of the parties charge rates decent for a high-cost country?

Marija Stojanovich
Marija Stojanovich  Identity Verified
Serbia
Serbian to English
+ ...
Life isn't fair Jan 2, 2015

Having stated the obvious, I would still expect my peers to take the high road and refrain from "proudly trumpeting" they make twice as much as I do for the same work, simply due to geographical placement.

But to get back on topic...

In my experience, 0.05 USD per word is quite below average for a career translator in EU/US. It might, however, be a decent rate for a language student looking to earn some spending money and build his/her CV prior to graduation.

... See more
Having stated the obvious, I would still expect my peers to take the high road and refrain from "proudly trumpeting" they make twice as much as I do for the same work, simply due to geographical placement.

But to get back on topic...

In my experience, 0.05 USD per word is quite below average for a career translator in EU/US. It might, however, be a decent rate for a language student looking to earn some spending money and build his/her CV prior to graduation.

In my corner of the woods (Serbia) my Proz rate of 0.06 to 0.09 USD is considered to be "on the high end" by most agencies. It has been a few years since I got any work from the Proz marketplace - my bids always "fall outside the allocated budget for this project". I obtain new clients by recommendation/invitation only, but as I prefer long-term contracts (and the said new clients tend to already know my rates and reputation) I have no reason to complain.

The bottom line is, it's the market that determines what "a fair amount" is. Research and apply.
Collapse

Rene Meerman
Rene Meerman
English to Dutch
+ ...
the position of a translator Jan 8, 2015

A few weeks ago I got an offer from an agency that offered a job for engineering translations, asking for my best rate, but to a maximum €0.07. I think that is too low, but I am sure they will find new translators. Furthermore, I have worked for a global agency for years, but since some time it only offers low rates, telling linguists that 'their budget is limited'. They offer an amount, and if no one takes the bait, they issue a message 'budget edited'. This method of offering jobs annoys me,... See more
A few weeks ago I got an offer from an agency that offered a job for engineering translations, asking for my best rate, but to a maximum €0.07. I think that is too low, but I am sure they will find new translators. Furthermore, I have worked for a global agency for years, but since some time it only offers low rates, telling linguists that 'their budget is limited'. They offer an amount, and if no one takes the bait, they issue a message 'budget edited'. This method of offering jobs annoys me, because there will always be someone who thinks: 'it's not enough, but I'll take it on anyway'.
It would therefore be a good idea if professional translators would all agree on minimum rates, based on:
- difficulty
- amount
- language pair
- urgency

The biggest problem is that in our 'negotiations' with larger companies, we will always be at the wrong end of the stick. No one or nothing to justify our rates. May be this has already been suggested, but suppose an authoritative Translator Board would establish indexed standard rates, it would make the position of individual translators much stronger. Of course, such an initiative would not imply an obligation for both parties.
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
I hope they learn to adjust those rates Jan 8, 2015

Chiara Deaglio wrote:

I read from their website that they "charge [their] customers $.06/source word to keep [their] prices competitive and pay you $.05 per source word!", adding that "if you find another translation agency that offers such a great deal to customers to help guarantee you work flow, while also paying you such a fair amount, please let us know".

Based on your experience (I am relatively new to the translation business), are telling the truth?

[Edited at 2014-09-15 16:23 GMT]

It is only a "fair amount" for translators in countries like India, for example, where people can actually live on that. In the U.S. and Western Europe, that is not considered a fair wage, and it's usually not worth someone's while.

But beyond that, how could they remain competitive only charging $0.01 USD more per word than what they are paying their translators? That doesn't make sense, normally an agency would have to have a larger margin than that to make any profit, taking into account taxes, overhead, etc. They do not seem that business-savvy, honestly. And their lowball approach is not necessarily going to impress potential clients, either.

Just my take on it!

Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Translating is not the only job in the world Jan 8, 2015

The question as to whether the amount is fair or not can only be answered by those who accept such a low rate.

The question as to whether one should take such a job in the first place will depend on whether or not you think translation is the only job you do.

I can only speak for myself, but at my top speed, I can translate about 750 words in a hour with satisfactory quality. At 0.05 that is 37.50 per hour before the tax office extorts half of it, so I am left with $18.
... See more
The question as to whether the amount is fair or not can only be answered by those who accept such a low rate.

The question as to whether one should take such a job in the first place will depend on whether or not you think translation is the only job you do.

I can only speak for myself, but at my top speed, I can translate about 750 words in a hour with satisfactory quality. At 0.05 that is 37.50 per hour before the tax office extorts half of it, so I am left with $18.75 per hour. Remember too that I might not be working every hour.

At 0.015, that leaves me 11.25 gross - 6.63 net.

Now, the question for me is not so much as to whether I can live comfortably on that, but are there easier ways to earn so little money. In the latter case, flipping burgers would earn better. In the first case, a factory job would pay better and in both cases not leave me with all the responsibility of running a business.

I don't think it even matters what country you are in. At some point, there must be a cut-off past which it would be better to do something else than translate.
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
Well said Jan 8, 2015

Is theer anything else to add?

I don't think it even matters what country you are in. At some point, there must be a cut-off past which it would be better to do something else than translate.

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 11:26
English to Romanian
0.05 USD Jan 9, 2015

Miroslav Jeftic wrote:

Pretty much have nothing more to add to Samuel Murray said, couldn't agree more. Translators who work in a well-developed and fair market are lucky they have such a market, but not every market is like that.

I agree. When I was offered the rate in the title, I accepted it. It was "work at this rate and pay at least part of the bills" versus "have no work and see the debts increasing". The Romanian translation market for my pairs is seriously overcrowded.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »