论题张贴者: Roxane Dow
Roxane Dow
Roxane Dow  Identity Verified
美国
Local time: 09:22
Portuguese葡萄牙语译成English英语
+ ...
Nov 1, 2001

Can anyone give me some general guidelines about what percentage discount to give agencies for Trados fuzzy matches and 100% matches? They seem to expect this, although I\'d rather not give it. I don\'t need specific prices, just percentages or guidelines to follow, so I\'m not completely out of synch with the market.

Thank you!

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
美国
Local time: 08:22
正式会员 (自2002)
English英语译成Spanish西班牙语
+ ...
Charge per hour Nov 2, 2001

Why don\'t you apply a charge per hour? If you spend, let\'s say, two hours doing the job, just charge them for those two hours...

Regards, Clarisa

Heike
Heike  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:22
English英语译成German德语
Trados matches Nov 3, 2001

Why don\'t you just offer a price reduction of 50% on 100%-matches and 20% on all fuzzy matches?

Jesús Paredes
Jesús Paredes
English英语译成Spanish西班牙语
+ ...
Charge a percentage Nov 3, 2001

Roxane,

Last time I did a very big job for a European agency I charged the following:

100% match: 30% since I have to read the whole sentence and make corrections depending on context.

No match: 100%

Under 75% match: 100% Since it is usually easier to translate a whole phrase than to correct it.

Between 76-85% match: 70%

Between 85-99% match: 50%

I know that many agencies try to pay less than t
... See more
Roxane,

Last time I did a very big job for a European agency I charged the following:

100% match: 30% since I have to read the whole sentence and make corrections depending on context.

No match: 100%

Under 75% match: 100% Since it is usually easier to translate a whole phrase than to correct it.

Between 76-85% match: 70%

Between 85-99% match: 50%

I know that many agencies try to pay less than this but I always manage to convince them giving a correct explanation.

I hope this helps.

Jesús Paredes
Collapse

Roxane Dow
Roxane Dow  Identity Verified
美国
Portuguese葡萄牙语译成English英语
+ ...
主题发起人
Thanks for Fuzzy Match Guidelines Nov 3, 2001

Dear Jesus,

Thank you for replying. Now I have some idea of what to charge. The information that many companies try to pay less is also helpful, because I\'ll be prepared to explain to them what is involved, as you said.

Thanks!

Roxane Daw
[addsig]

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
German德语译成English英语
+ ...
Do not lower your rates! Nov 4, 2001

This is only my personal approach and opinion, but I never reduce my price or rates because of fuzzy matches, etc. Some agencies only use these CAT features to take advantage of translators, that\'s all. The real purpose of these features is to help the translator work a bit faster (which is also questionable - in my own experience); that \"abuse\" of trying to lower rates because of matches, translation memory, etc. is just a scheme to download more work for less pay on to unsuspecting translat... See more
This is only my personal approach and opinion, but I never reduce my price or rates because of fuzzy matches, etc. Some agencies only use these CAT features to take advantage of translators, that\'s all. The real purpose of these features is to help the translator work a bit faster (which is also questionable - in my own experience); that \"abuse\" of trying to lower rates because of matches, translation memory, etc. is just a scheme to download more work for less pay on to unsuspecting translators.

If you keep lowering your rates, you\'ll never be able to cover the costs of your CAT software package(s).

Just my own personal humble opinion.
Collapse

German德语译成English英语
+ ...
Consider this: Nov 5, 2001

Does a lawyer reduce his rate for repetitive cases (having already done all the relevant research into case law, etc.)?

Does a notary public reduce his rates for the nth birth certificate?

Does a surgeon reduce his rate for the 27th routine hernia operation?

Does a plumber reduce his rate for the millionth faucet he installs?

Does a dentist reduce his rate for the umpteenth filling?

The answe
... See more
Does a lawyer reduce his rate for repetitive cases (having already done all the relevant research into case law, etc.)?

Does a notary public reduce his rates for the nth birth certificate?

Does a surgeon reduce his rate for the 27th routine hernia operation?

Does a plumber reduce his rate for the millionth faucet he installs?

Does a dentist reduce his rate for the umpteenth filling?

The answer to all these questions is a resounding NO.

We as translators are just as professional as those people, and I don\'t see why we should lower our rates. Any matches resulting from translation memories are based on our own work and effort! A translation memory is a work product that you cannot afford to give away at dumping prices or even for free.
Collapse

Alessandra Marrucci

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to Charge for Fuzzy Matches, 100% Matches in Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »