Posting file from MS Word clipboard to work samples section..how to do it?
Thread poster: Sara Senft
Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 14, 2009

I'm revising my profile, and the main change I am making is editing my work samples. I'm trying to paste a file from MS Word's clipboard in to the 'source text' section of the area where you post work samples.

The text was originally a PDF file, which I later pasted in to MS Word.

[Edited at 2009-06-15 00:40 GMT]

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 11:59
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
PDF: image or text? Jun 14, 2009

As your source file was a PDF, and you say you 'pasted' it into Word, are you trying to say that it was a PDF image file? If so, you won't be able to paste it directly into your profile page (which only accepts text). So you'll either have to OCR it first — or else post the image file somewhere accessible on the 'Net, and place a link to it in the appropriate field on your profile page.

However, if you are talking about text that you have extracted from a PDF file, I
... See more
As your source file was a PDF, and you say you 'pasted' it into Word, are you trying to say that it was a PDF image file? If so, you won't be able to paste it directly into your profile page (which only accepts text). So you'll either have to OCR it first — or else post the image file somewhere accessible on the 'Net, and place a link to it in the appropriate field on your profile page.

However, if you are talking about text that you have extracted from a PDF file, I don't understand why you would be having any problems?

You need to go into the 'Profile updater' tab on your profile page (owner's view), then on the left-hand side select 'Professional history', which opens a window in which there are fields for pasting sample translation source and target texts, managing your samples, etc.

If you are using a localized version of ProZ, you may need to work out what the equivalent commands are labelled — or temporarily switch over to EN, which may be easier!

[Edited at 2009-06-14 22:57 GMT]
Collapse

Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OCR? Jun 14, 2009

I am referring to an image, not text.

What do you mean by saying "OCR" the source text?

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 11:59
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
OCR Jun 14, 2009

It's the acronym for 'Optical Character Recognition', which is the simplest way to extract text information from an image file; you will need OCR software to do this (you might have had some bundled with your scanner, and I believe there is already a simple version available in Windows itself, but I have no idea if it's any use or not).

Otherwise, there is good commercial software available (at a price), and also cheaper versions — for all I know, by now there may well be an open
... See more
It's the acronym for 'Optical Character Recognition', which is the simplest way to extract text information from an image file; you will need OCR software to do this (you might have had some bundled with your scanner, and I believe there is already a simple version available in Windows itself, but I have no idea if it's any use or not).

Otherwise, there is good commercial software available (at a price), and also cheaper versions — for all I know, by now there may well be an open source application available as freeware or shareware... you could consult other fora here to find out.

In the immediate term, you might do better to simply choose a different text that you already have available as a text file!

(If you care to send me your image file, I could run it through my own OCR program for you if you like)

[Edited at 2009-06-14 22:54 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Posting file from MS Word clipboard to work samples section..how to do it?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »