Evi Wollinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:08
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Jul 3, 2009

Hi!

I use Wordfast Classic, Word 2000 and Windows Vista.

I am translating a large (23 Mb) manual, containing many bookmarks. I don't know too much about bookmarks and have chosen yes to the answer if I want to process them.

This manual contains a table of contents at the beginning and an index at the end. It is about 200 pages with many pictures.
I am about half-way through and have cleaned it up a couple of times to see how it will come out in the en
... See more
Hi!

I use Wordfast Classic, Word 2000 and Windows Vista.

I am translating a large (23 Mb) manual, containing many bookmarks. I don't know too much about bookmarks and have chosen yes to the answer if I want to process them.

This manual contains a table of contents at the beginning and an index at the end. It is about 200 pages with many pictures.
I am about half-way through and have cleaned it up a couple of times to see how it will come out in the end.
Quick clean does not work, but clean up does.

The index at the end updates when I right click on it and use update fields, but the table of contents always tells me "error, bookmark not defined" before I try to update fields, and "error, no table of content entries found" after I try to update.

There are also headers and footers in this document, which I have left so far and not done anything with them.
I know how to show the field codes and have heard of TAC fields, but don't really know what to do, at this point I am wondering if I am going to have to manually fix all the table of content entries at the beginning of this document.
I want to give myself enough time before the deadline of this project to deal with this technical issue and would be extremely grateful for any suggestions as to how I should proceed in order to have a table of contents!

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:08
English to Spanish
Probably lost the TOC codes Jul 3, 2009

I don't know whether this is a problem of translation programs but I have found myself in the same situation and the only remedy has been to mark all the TOC entries again once the document is clean, as a final step before delivery.

----------
Here is a thread discussing ToC, among other issues. I must say it has never be
... See more
I don't know whether this is a problem of translation programs but I have found myself in the same situation and the only remedy has been to mark all the TOC entries again once the document is clean, as a final step before delivery.

----------
Here is a thread discussing ToC, among other issues. I must say it has never been that easy for me.

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/18867-trados_cant_open_certain_segments_of_text.html

[Edited at 2009-07-03 22:08 GMT]

And this other thread seems to sugest that the ToC for your document may have been created manually, otherwise it would have translated automatically once and every time you called the update function.

http://fra.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/136889-help:_trados_will_not_work_with_table_of_contents_word_2007.html

[Edited at 2009-07-03 22:11 GMT]

(I now remember that is what I have found before, that the ToC in the source document was created manually so I was forced to recreate it.)

[Edited at 2009-07-03 22:14 GMT]
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 15:08
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Styles Jul 4, 2009

I'm pretty clueless about bookmarks and TOCs etc, but I've evolved a work-around which has got me out of trouble on a number of occasions, albeit with documents that have a relatively simple structure.

I just recreate a new TOC by making sure the correct hierarchical styles are applied to all the section, paragraph, sub-para, etc. headings, and then creating a TOC using those styles.

Of course, it may involve modifying a number of style to suit your doc., and won't work
... See more
I'm pretty clueless about bookmarks and TOCs etc, but I've evolved a work-around which has got me out of trouble on a number of occasions, albeit with documents that have a relatively simple structure.

I just recreate a new TOC by making sure the correct hierarchical styles are applied to all the section, paragraph, sub-para, etc. headings, and then creating a TOC using those styles.

Of course, it may involve modifying a number of style to suit your doc., and won't work for TOCs that include things that are not headings to which styles can be applied; but I still find that it is less work than painstakingly finding and manually repairing all the bookmarks in the doc.

And of course, this won't work for your index entries, sadly!

I shall be following this thread with interest...

Regarding manually-created TOCs; if you leave translating these till the end, then they should go through like a dream, since the will TUs already exist from the para headings you've translated as part of the document. I just mark manual TOCs as 'untranslatable', then go back to them at the very end. Works fine, as long as they were created accurately in the first place!

The problem seems to airse where the TOC was set up using codes rather than styles; as Luisa says, style-based TOCs simply require you to 'update fields' right at the end, once the whole doc. has been translated.

[Edited at 2009-07-04 10:45 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »