Helen Matthews  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:55
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
Aug 5, 2009

Hi,

Don't really know how to describe this problem exactly, or if I've chosen the right forum, but here goes - all help appreciated!

Quite often (particularly when copy-pasting from a website, it would seem), a word document ends up with lots of different returns (if you show the formatting, rather than the classic return sign, it looks like a sort of arrow). This causes problems for trados, which doesn't recognise it as a segment end, so I have to go through the whole
... See more
Hi,

Don't really know how to describe this problem exactly, or if I've chosen the right forum, but here goes - all help appreciated!

Quite often (particularly when copy-pasting from a website, it would seem), a word document ends up with lots of different returns (if you show the formatting, rather than the classic return sign, it looks like a sort of arrow). This causes problems for trados, which doesn't recognise it as a segment end, so I have to go through the whole document deleting them and replacing them with 'standard' returns....

.. any ideas on a quicker way of replacing all?

Thanks,

Helen
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:55
French to English
try this on a copy of your file Aug 5, 2009

Find and Replace ^l with ^p

A quick test on a mock file over here seems to work as expected!

Sylvia Germroth Nordebo
Sylvia Germroth Nordebo  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to German
+ ...
Replace Aug 5, 2009

Dear Helen,

I am not quite sure if I got your problem right, but I'll try anyway.

If you just want to exchange a manual line break (I guess that is what it is called in English) against a "normal" line break, you can do this:

Chose "Replace" in the word-menue and choose "More" (I guess that is what the button is called in English), there you can choose manual line break and then you choose line break for the signs, words etc to replace with. All manual line
... See more
Dear Helen,

I am not quite sure if I got your problem right, but I'll try anyway.

If you just want to exchange a manual line break (I guess that is what it is called in English) against a "normal" line break, you can do this:

Chose "Replace" in the word-menue and choose "More" (I guess that is what the button is called in English), there you can choose manual line break and then you choose line break for the signs, words etc to replace with. All manual line breaks (the arrows) are replaced.

This does natuarally not help when you do not want to have a line break at all but just want the text to continue in the next line. In this case you can replace the manual (or) normal line break with a spare, so you write in a spare by using the spare-keyin the replace mask. I hope that helps.

Kind regards
Sylvia
Collapse

Marek Daroszewski (MrMarDar)
Marek Daroszewski (MrMarDar)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Search and Replace Aug 5, 2009

Hi Helen,
you might try to replace the manual line break / soft return character (which you can enter manually by pressing Shift+Enter in Word) with a space:
In Word open the Search and Replace box (Ctrl+h)
In the Search for field enter:
"^l"
and in the Replace with field enter:
" "
(without quotes).
However, this might render the text garbled if there are no line breaks / paragraph marks at all. If so, you might try to replace a double manual line
... See more
Hi Helen,
you might try to replace the manual line break / soft return character (which you can enter manually by pressing Shift+Enter in Word) with a space:
In Word open the Search and Replace box (Ctrl+h)
In the Search for field enter:
"^l"
and in the Replace with field enter:
" "
(without quotes).
However, this might render the text garbled if there are no line breaks / paragraph marks at all. If so, you might try to replace a double manual line break, i.e. "^l^l" with "^p" (no quotes, the "l" is lower case L). This would first create "paragraphs of text" and later replace a single "^l" with a space.

HTH
Collapse

Helen Matthews
Helen Matthews  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:55
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
^l ^p perfect! Aug 5, 2009

Thanks to you all - the find and replace ^l with ^p worked perfectly - just what I was after!!

all the best,

Helen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quick way of eliminating the 'funny' returns from a word document

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »