Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you ever offered your client a discount for fast payment?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 05:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
Only once or twice Sep 19, 2012

But mainly to try to shame/embarrass them into stumping up... and it worked.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 21:05
English to Spanish
Yes, sometimes... Sep 19, 2012

...to no avail.

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:05
English to French
Fast payment does not mean on-time payment Sep 19, 2012

Once, after waiting for several payments from a translation agency for something like 9 months, I offered a 20% discount if paid within the week, 15% if paid within 1 month, 10% if paid within 2 months... and after 0%, collection agency..
And it worked (within a month for half the amount, within 3 months for the rest).

I consider this discount as my penalty for accepting additional jobs when I had invoices already overdue. Now, I've learned. With the help of a better managem
... See more
Once, after waiting for several payments from a translation agency for something like 9 months, I offered a 20% discount if paid within the week, 15% if paid within 1 month, 10% if paid within 2 months... and after 0%, collection agency..
And it worked (within a month for half the amount, within 3 months for the rest).

I consider this discount as my penalty for accepting additional jobs when I had invoices already overdue. Now, I've learned. With the help of a better management software, I don't tolerate this any more.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Remember the freelance vs. independent translator talk? Sep 19, 2012

I don't offer discounts, period. Does my doctor offered me a discount because I only took 15 minutes of her time yet she charged me $300? No.

Professionals don't offer discounts, in my book. I offer my clientele valuable intangibles instead.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
5/10 net 30 Sep 26, 2012

It is a common practice here in the US for some companies to offer discounts (you mainly only see it in business to business sales). I do offer a 5% discount if my invoice is paid within 10 day and I add a 5% late charge if not paid after 30. I have some clients that take advantage of it and others that don't. I have also won projects/clients by offering the discount.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever offered your client a discount for fast payment?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »