Off topic: Do I have to buy an external mouse for my laptop?
Thread poster: Guofei_LIN
Guofei_LIN
Guofei_LIN  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 01:59
Chinese
May 21

Is there any Apple MacBook Air user who feels comfortable just using trackpad and never an external mouse?

I just inherited my daughter's MacBook Air and love it. It didn't come with an external mouse though. I was wondering if I should buy one, or if in time I would get used to using trackpad and then wouldn't have to carry around an external mouse?

What's your experience, laptop users?

Akhikpemelo Solace

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:59
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
I need a mouse May 21

I don't use Apple, but I couldn't manage for long without an external mouse. Young people seem to get along with just the trackpad, but not me. I use a Bluetooth mouse, so I don't need a dongle.

Akhikpemelo Solace
Guofei_LIN

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 11:59
English to Finnish
+ ...
Trackball May 22

I recommend Logitech M575 wireless trackball. More accurate and faster respone than anything else. Once you get used to it, you'll never go back.

Guofei_LIN
Glyn Lloyd-Jones

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:59
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
You don't have to May 22

Guofei_LIN wrote:

Is there any Apple MacBook Air user who feels comfortable just using trackpad and never an external mouse?

I just inherited my daughter's MacBook Air and love it. It didn't come with an external mouse though. I was wondering if I should buy one, or if in time I would get used to using trackpad and then wouldn't have to carry around an external mouse?

What's your experience, laptop users?

But I prefer having a Magic Mouse next to my Macbook Pro, it's more precise than the trackpad.

Guofei_LIN

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:59
English to Turkish
Condolences May 22

Guofei_LIN wrote:
I just inherited my daughter's MacBook Air and love it.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Christopher Schröder
matt robinson

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
mac May 22

Akhikpemelo Solace wrote:

I use Redmi or Samsung track pads. They are more useful than that of apple's.

Could you please provide some model names or links to these track pads? I'd be interested in for my Win pc.
For my mac I use the Magic Trackpad and I couldn't be happier. This would also be a good solution for the OP. Very relaxing for your joints and tendons.

Guofei_LIN
Guofei_LIN  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 01:59
Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Do you also use mouse in addition to your Magic Trackpad? May 22

Zea_Mays wrote:

Could you please provide some model names or links to these track pads? I'd be interested in for my Win pc.
For my mac I use the Magic Trackpad and I couldn't be happier. This would also be a good solution for the OP. Very relaxing for your joints and tendons.

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
musophobia May 22

Guofei_LIN wrote:

Zea_Mays wrote:

No, I find mouses very impractical. The external Apple trackpad is large, it is highly responsive and you work only moving slightly your fingers.

[Bearbeitet am 2024-05-22 12:18 GMT]

Guofei_LIN

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Dragging can be a drag May 26

Guofei_LIN wrote:

Dragging with the trackpad can be cumbersome. I prefer a mouse for that. Just clicking is fine.

BTW: I had to replace my Magic mice with a Logitech mouse* with a dongle. The mice kept losing connection with the iMacs. Two Magic mice with batteries, one with a fixed rechargeable battery. And on two different iMac 27 computers. I even had the Bluetooth card replaced on one.

* https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/mice/mx-master-3s-mac-bluetooth-mouse.html

[Edited at 2024-05-26 04:17 GMT]

Guofei_LIN

Andrus Lauringson
Andrus Lauringson  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 18:59
Member (2022)
English to Estonian
You don’t have to, but May 26

You don’t have to buy it, but it speeds things up a lot. Usually it takes more trackpad swipes than mouse moves for getting the cursor to the right place, and the movement is much slower on trackpad.

Also an external keyboard and monitor speed the technical side up so you can spend more time for thinking about the text and less for fiddling around. All of them can be bought quite cheaply, none of them have to be top notch gamer gear. A simple LCD with twice the size of the laptop
... See more
You don’t have to buy it, but it speeds things up a lot. Usually it takes more trackpad swipes than mouse moves for getting the cursor to the right place, and the movement is much slower on trackpad.

Also an external keyboard and monitor speed the technical side up so you can spend more time for thinking about the text and less for fiddling around. All of them can be bought quite cheaply, none of them have to be top notch gamer gear. A simple LCD with twice the size of the laptop screen already helps quite a bit.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do I have to buy an external mouse for my laptop?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »