Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Have you ever translated something that later you put into practice?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:49
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Chocolate Jun 10, 2010

I translated an advertisement blurb about a popular brand of chocolate candy in Brazil that was launching its new bite-sized version. I bought some and they were even yummier than the original! Could you call that "putting into practice?"

Lorenia Rincon
Lorenia Rincon  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same here Jun 10, 2010

Gianluca Marras wrote:

I have translated several patents concerning anti-cancer drugs, well my father has used 4 of them.
I have also translated several new designs of drug delivery pens, my father has used them so I actually used his pen as a model.

I would have avoided the practical experience anyway.

Same here, as a Conference Interpreter, I worked at a Cancer Conference right at the time I was being diagnosed with the same type of Cancer, it did help me a lot to understand what was happening and fortunately in my case it gave me peace of mind to know about everything available for patients who detect it early. My father died of cancer last year and these medical conferences always helped me understand a lot about what was happening to him at the time.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Recipes, nutrition, medicine... Jun 10, 2010

and legal texts. Legal texts come from way back, I used to help out my father (a lawyer).

Oleksandr Kupriyanchuk
Oleksandr Kupriyanchuk  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2009)
Russian to English
+ ...
There is no unnecessary knowledge :) Jun 11, 2010

Thus, we risk being charged for translations, so "useful" for us, instead of being well paid for them

There are unnecessary things or even money, but there is no unnecessary knowledge

Translation is comprehensive learning, which is an enjoyable aspect of this generally not-so-lucrative trade...
See more
Thus, we risk being charged for translations, so "useful" for us, instead of being well paid for them

There are unnecessary things or even money, but there is no unnecessary knowledge

Translation is comprehensive learning, which is an enjoyable aspect of this generally not-so-lucrative trade

However, the main result that always can be put into good practice later is… money from translations, isn't it?!

[Edited at 2010-06-11 08:04 GMT]
Collapse

Oleksandr Kupriyanchuk
Oleksandr Kupriyanchuk  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2009)
Russian to English
+ ...
"Putting into practice" is often explicitly prohibited... Jun 11, 2010

...by NDAs, Confidentiality Agreements, Collaboration/Partnership/Cooperation Agreements etc. etc.

...unless what is translated is "general knowledge."

So don't get caught

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:49
English to German
+ ...
Sure Jun 11, 2010

all of my cooking books.

Sometimes product information (if non-confidential) sometimes turns out to be quite useful - for me and my neighbours.

Nancy Ernst
Nancy Ernst  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:49
French to English
+ ...
Yes - From Translation to implementation of new manufacturing process Jun 18, 2010

I translated technical documents for a new carbon aircraft brake refurb/manufacturing process, created training documents and trained operators, engineers and team leads then wrote the new SOPs in English and setup and ran the first customer service process for the new project. It was a great experience!

Lourdes Zalcik
Lourdes Zalcik  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Most of my translations are helpful to me. Jul 8, 2010

I have translated several focus groups in which health issues such as cholesterol management, cleaning products, foods, and other everyday items were discussed. I did one about soups, and I craved soups during the entire project. So far, I've learned to eat better, exercise more, stay out of financial and legal problems, etc., and it's all through listening to people's experiences.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever translated something that later you put into practice?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »