Recovering source file in Trados 6,5
Thread poster: Tomasz Syrek (X)
Tomasz Syrek (X)
Tomasz Syrek (X)
Local time: 11:49
English to Polish
Feb 6, 2005

How to recover the source file from the billingual (already translated) file? I need the source file to verify tags in S-Tag, but unfortunately I forgot to make copy of the source file before having translated it.

Thank You!
Tomasz

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Feb 6, 2005

...to Trados Support.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
AFAIK Feb 6, 2005

tsyrek wrote:

How to recover the source file from the billingual (already translated) file? I need the source file to verify tags in S-Tag, but unfortunately I forgot to make copy of the source file before having translated it.

Thank You!
Tomasz

If you save a file as bilingual, you do not delete the original, just create a new one. Or?

Rgds

Toledo

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
. Feb 7, 2005

Toledo wrote:

tsyrek wrote:

Thank You!
Tomasz

If you save a file as bilingual, you do not delete the original, just create a new one. Or?

Rgds

Toledo

Assuming tsyrek worked with TagEditor and did not "Save Target as...", overwriting the original file, yes.

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Original Feb 7, 2005

If you have reveived the original file as an e-mail attachment, you should simply save the attachment on your HDD again... provided you did not delete the message

Natalia Zudaire
Natalia Zudaire  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:49
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
This is what I do... Feb 7, 2005

It may sound improvised, but it works for me...

I make a copy of the uncleaned text, and I go through it copying source in every segment (not very practical for long texts). Then I clean it.

Hope it helps

Natalia

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
If it's a Word file, try this: Feb 7, 2005

tsyrek wrote:

How to recover the source file from the billingual (already translated) file?

From the Wordfast USER MANUAL - Revised for version 4.22, p.88 (but it's an operation performed in Word, nothing to do with CAT tools):

Back to source
Q: Whoops! My documents have been pretranslated, and I don't have access to the originals. But now I would like to have the originals back, unsegmented. Apparently, it takes a lot of successive Find-Replace passes to un-segment documents...

A: Quite the contrary. It takes only one FR pass to do that.

- Find what ( \ { \ 0 \ > ) ( * ) ( \ < \ } ) ( * ) ( \ { \ > ) ( * ) ( \ < \ 0 \ } )
- Replace with \2
- Use Wildcards
- Set the replacement font format to "not hidden" (check, then uncheck, the "Hidden" checkbox).

The only limitation is, make sure source segments do not contain hidden text. But they rarely do.

NOTE: in the "Find what" string leave out all the spaces I inserted (the string wouldn't display correctly otherwise) - If unclear, don't hesitate to contact me via my profile and I'll paste the instructions in an email.

Best luck

PS see also http://www.wordfast.net/know.php?ToDo=view&questId=19&catId=15

[Edited at 2005-02-07 13:26]

Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Colombia
Local time: 04:49
English to Spanish
Deepest thanks!!!!!!!!! Feb 7, 2005

I am creating a glossary out of a bilingual document I edited. It took me several passes to do the above.

I don't understand what the search string means, it must be some sort of magic words! I feel so humble.

It will be great for next time.

Thanks again.

Tomasz Syrek (X)
Tomasz Syrek (X)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
It helped! Feb 17, 2005

Thanks a lot! - that was exactly what I needed.

[quote]Muja wrote:
From the Wordfast USER MANUAL - Revised for version 4.22, p.88 (but it's an operation performed in Word, nothing to do with CAT tools):

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Thank the Wordfast community Feb 17, 2005

Hi Pablo and Tomasz,

Glad to be helpful though it's M. Champollion (developer of Wordfast, translators' best friend) and the Wordfast users community ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/ ) that you should thank

All the best

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recovering source file in Trados 6,5

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »