MS Excel - The word 'value' appearing in cells
Thread poster: Sarah Port
Sarah Port
Sarah Port  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:58
German to English
+ ...
Dec 13, 2007

I have a problem with the cell format in Microsoft Excel for Windows XP.

The word 'value' now appears in certain cells on my spreadsheet instead of numerals although numerals have already been inputted.

How do I restore the actual numerals?

Many thanks in advance,

Sarah

Renée van Bijsterveld
Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:58
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
change cell formatting Dec 13, 2007

You could try to change the cell formatting to numbers: select the cell, choose Formatting > Cell properties (I hope these are the options, I use the dutch version). You may need to re-enter your numerals after changing the formatting.
Good luck,
Renée

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Check the Help file Dec 13, 2007

Hi Sarah,

If you search for VALUE in the Excel Help file, you'll find a number of possible reasons for this.

When it happens to me, it usually means that I've copied a cell containing a formula that is not valid in the new position or I'm trying to input text into a cell where there should be a number.

HTH

Giles

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
You've changed a cell containing an equation Dec 13, 2007

In cells containing equations, you don't need to input numerals. The equation solves these by getting input from other cells (the equation would refer to other columns).

IF: the problem occurs in the cell where the word VALUE appears, select that block with the mouse starting from the line above the word VALUE. Go to EDIT, choose FILL and click on DOWNWARD. That restores the equation.

IF: the problem does not occur in the VALUE cell, check the decimal points/commas in t
... See more
In cells containing equations, you don't need to input numerals. The equation solves these by getting input from other cells (the equation would refer to other columns).

IF: the problem occurs in the cell where the word VALUE appears, select that block with the mouse starting from the line above the word VALUE. Go to EDIT, choose FILL and click on DOWNWARD. That restores the equation.

IF: the problem does not occur in the VALUE cell, check the decimal points/commas in the cells where you placed your input (i.e., the cells mentioned in the equation). Use the original language format. It will be up to your client to change the language of the entire file (you can't just interchange separators and decimal points - they don't "translate". The entire file system has to change language).

Hope it helps!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Excel - The word 'value' appearing in cells

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »