Thread poster: Dave Bindon
Dave Bindon
Dave Bindon  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 22:01
Greek to English
In memoriam
Aug 16, 2011

This thread is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this forum translators and language professionals can share quotes about translation, tongue twisters and word plays, translation challenges, etc.

All are welcome to participate and to add new items to this and the other areas of the Translator playground; have fun with it! If you need help or would like to propose an addition to the Translator playground, contact site staff through the online support system.

On the whole I don't enjoy 'proofreading' (using the standard meaning of the term within the translation industry). However, there have been a few occasions when the errors I've found have made the process worthwhile, just for comedy value.

In an Interpol 'Red Notice', the translator had written a list of people being 'persecuted by Interpol' (he/she meant 'sought': the Greek verb has several meanings, but the translator picked the wrong one).

This week, a new client asked me to proofread a short translation. One of the errors was that "Department of Employment" had been translated as "Department of Leisure"! The mistake is almost understandable, because the Greek word means 'occupation' (employment) but can also refer to 'what keeps you occupied in your free time' (leisure activity). Since I know and respect the translator I'm pretty sure this 'proofreading assignment' was actually just a test and the translator deliberately inserted that error to make me laugh.

Having been fully accepted onto the above-mentioned company's database, I was sent their Guidelines. In the final section about the duties and responsibilities of proofreaders, they have the following instruction:

"Always score the translation rather than any emissions – (Do notify us immediately if you notice emissions!)"

I will certainly notify them of emissions! And, yes, I did tell them about the error.

Rebecca Davis
Rebecca Davis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:01
French to English
+ ...
Err... Aug 16, 2011

Wouldn't that be "while" proofreading?

Dave Bindon
Greece
Greek to English
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
while Aug 16, 2011

Muphry's Law! (and blame a bottle of wine!)

Dave Bindon
Greece
Greek to English
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Actually (re: while/whilst) Aug 16, 2011

Rebecca Davis wrote:

Wouldn't that be "while" proofreading?

I've just checked my 'bible', and it says that there is no firm difference between 'while' and 'whilst' in UK English.

Rebecca Davis
Rebecca Davis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
It's a tough one... Aug 16, 2011

I think you are right, in that both of them can be used interchangeably if you mean "whereas"; if you mean "when", then most style guides advise "while"...

Dave Bindon
Greece
Greek to English
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
It's after midnight... Aug 16, 2011

I'm sure you're right. I'll look at the guides in the morning when the effect of the wine has worn off.

Helen Shiner
Helen Shiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Piratical fun Aug 16, 2011

Not proofreading in a translation context as such, but I was kept very amused by a student essay (of some length) on the subject of the notorious 'Matinée on the Bounty'.

Stefan Blommaert
Stefan Blommaert
Brazil
Local time: 16:01
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Revision carried out? Aug 17, 2011

On a similar note: there are buses driving around here in London that make use of hybrid technology in order to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases.

At the back of the bus is a huge poster explaining that this bus is driven by a hybrid engine, to "reduce greenhouse commissions"....?????????...Did anybody read the text of this ad before it was actually published?....Or was the revision carried out by someone who had no knowledge whatsoever...Revision is not just rereading what wa
... See more
On a similar note: there are buses driving around here in London that make use of hybrid technology in order to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases.

At the back of the bus is a huge poster explaining that this bus is driven by a hybrid engine, to "reduce greenhouse commissions"....?????????...Did anybody read the text of this ad before it was actually published?....Or was the revision carried out by someone who had no knowledge whatsoever...Revision is not just rereading what was written, it is also assimilating the text and checking whether it makes sense or not....I guess, though, that there are people for whom anything makes sense...which, of course, simplifies life!
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Funny errors spotted whilst proofreading

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »