Off topic: Word origins- Match up the word on the left with its origin on the right
Thread poster: RominaZ
RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 9, 2011

This thread is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this forum translators and language professionals can share quotes about translation, tongue twisters and word plays, translation challenges, etc.

All are welcome to participate and to add new items to this and the other areas of the Translator playground; have fun with it! If you need help or would like to propose an addition to the Translator playground, contact site staff through the online support system.

Wonderful word origins

Below is a list of ten words with etymologies that are interesting, unusual, or perplexing. See if you can match the word on the left to its origins on the right.

Match up the word on the left with its origin on the right (no peeking!):

How many did you get right?

See the answers here >> Oxford Dictionaries and post your score here

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:24
English to Dutch
+ ...
6 Sep 9, 2011

I got nrs. 1,2,3,7,8,9 right. Don't think that's too bad for a non-native speaker, is it?

filippoc
filippoc  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:24
Italian to English
+ ...
7 Sep 9, 2011

1,2,3,4,7,8,10 right.

Egils Turks
Egils Turks  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 22:24
English to Latvian
+ ...
8 right Sep 9, 2011

I got 2 wrong: 5 and 7.

Fernanda Rocha
Fernanda Rocha  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:24
English to Portuguese
+ ...

7 right too! Sep 9, 2011

1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 and 9.

[Edited at 2011-09-09 15:10 GMT]

Berna Bleeke (X)
Berna Bleeke (X)
English to Dutch
8 correct Sep 9, 2011

I got 4 and 10 wrong

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 03:24
Chinese to English
Er, what? Sep 9, 2011

I don't mean to spoil the quiz, I mean, it's a fun enough game. But what on earth does the question mean?

Match up the "word"... I get that bit

... with "its origin" - what!?

To take an example which I'm sure everyone gets:

"sinister" "left". OK, so a word which looks a lot like sinister once meant something like "left" in another language. Over time and through a number of historical linguistic processes, we've ended up with the word "sinister
... See more
I don't mean to spoil the quiz, I mean, it's a fun enough game. But what on earth does the question mean?

Match up the "word"... I get that bit

... with "its origin" - what!?

To take an example which I'm sure everyone gets:

"sinister" "left". OK, so a word which looks a lot like sinister once meant something like "left" in another language. Over time and through a number of historical linguistic processes, we've ended up with the word "sinister", meaning suspicious and shady; and another word completely for "the opposite of right".

That's not quite the same as saying "left" is the origin of "sinister".

As people who work with languages, and who are perhaps more aware than others of the interesting ways words change between languages, we should be a bit careful about promoting this rather slapdash way of talking about words. I'm a bit surprised Oxford put it up, to be honest.
Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 03:24
Chinese to English
PS Sep 9, 2011

I'm just trying to cover up for the fact that I only got 8 here!

Clive Phillips
Clive Phillips  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:24
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
I confess... Sep 9, 2011

...I got the remaining two, only because I was pretty sure of the others. If they'd been stand-alone questions, I'd have failed to get them.

And I had always thought that "oxymoron" was derived from the (Ancient Greek?) words for "bright-dark".

Etymology is fascinating. I remember aeons ago my English school teacher explaining why in Yorkshire there is (or was) a North,
... See more
...I got the remaining two, only because I was pretty sure of the others. If they'd been stand-alone questions, I'd have failed to get them.

And I had always thought that "oxymoron" was derived from the (Ancient Greek?) words for "bright-dark".

Etymology is fascinating. I remember aeons ago my English school teacher explaining why in Yorkshire there is (or was) a North, West and East Riding but no South Riding : http://www.yorkshire-england.co.uk/About_Yorkshire.html .
He said that "folk etymology" explained the term by claiming it took a day to ride a horse from one end of a Riding to the other (a dubious supposition).
Collapse

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
100% Sep 10, 2011

I got them all! So the day's off to a good start.
Thanks, that was fun!
Catherine

Ruth Wöhlk
Ruth Wöhlk  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to German
+ ...
In memoriam
7 !! Sep 10, 2011

Seven is a lucky number, I think, but I'm not licky with this result.
Well, but not too bad.
I liket this kind of "games", were can we find others?

kmtext
kmtext
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:24
English
+ ...
10/10 Sep 10, 2011

I confess though that two of them were guesses and I probably wouldn't have picked the right ones if I hadn't been sure of the other eight.

Kaj Genell
Kaj Genell
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
poh! Sep 10, 2011

8 out of 10. But it could a been worse, i.e.: 5 out of 11.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Word origins- Match up the word on the left with its origin on the right

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »