Proofreading workflow in NXT
Thread poster: Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 15:26
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Nov 29, 2010

I own Transit NXT Professional and I would like to improve the proofreading workflow.

I translate a Word file in NXT from Czech to English and currently I export the translation to Word, and send the resulting Word file to a native speaker for proofreading, which means that I get back the corrected translation in Word but transferring the corrections to the NXT language pair would be painful. Hence my language pair still contains the errors, which are corrected by the proofreader on
... See more
I own Transit NXT Professional and I would like to improve the proofreading workflow.

I translate a Word file in NXT from Czech to English and currently I export the translation to Word, and send the resulting Word file to a native speaker for proofreading, which means that I get back the corrected translation in Word but transferring the corrections to the NXT language pair would be painful. Hence my language pair still contains the errors, which are corrected by the proofreader only in the Word file.

The problems are:
1. the proofreader does not own Transit and will not buy it just for the proofreading purposes,
2. even if s/he did own Transit, anything like "track changes" is not available in Transit, AFAIK, but I need to know exactly what edits are suggested to avoid "proofreading-artefact" errors.

What reasonable options do I have to improve this unsatisfactory workflow?

Antonin
▲ Collapse


 
Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 15:26
English to Czech
+ ...
Print to PDF? Nov 29, 2010

Hello Antonín,
I think you can export your translation into PDF and have your native speaker comment the PDF file. Any changes will have to be done manually in Transit though.

I use a similar workflow in Trados Studio which is a little more elegant:
1. Translation
2. Export into bilingual Word file with SDLXLIFF Converter
3. Proofreading by the client (track changes ON)
4. Accept/Reject any changes made
5. Import back into Studio with SDLXLIFF Co
... See more
Hello Antonín,
I think you can export your translation into PDF and have your native speaker comment the PDF file. Any changes will have to be done manually in Transit though.

I use a similar workflow in Trados Studio which is a little more elegant:
1. Translation
2. Export into bilingual Word file with SDLXLIFF Converter
3. Proofreading by the client (track changes ON)
4. Accept/Reject any changes made
5. Import back into Studio with SDLXLIFF Converter

Works like a charm.
▲ Collapse


 
Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 15:26
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't understand why pdf Nov 29, 2010

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

I think you can export your translation into PDF and have your native speaker comment the PDF file. Any changes will have to be done manually in Transit though.


Since they proofread in MS Word, which is a convenient fromat for it, I cannot see why pdf export comes handy. The manual transfer to Transit is the stage that disturbs me, of course.

I was hoping that a program converting between NXT and Word might exist out there...

Antonin


 
Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 15:26
English to Czech
+ ...
Misunderstanding on my part Nov 29, 2010

Uhm, I misunderstood. I don't know of any such conversion tool for Transit. AFAIK, apart from Studio, DejaVu and MemoQ (?) have this functionality.

 
Francoise Perigaut
Francoise Perigaut
Germany
Local time: 15:26
German to French
+ ...
MemoQ, maybe? Dec 15, 2010

MemoQ has this feature too and maybe it would be a solution to Antonin's problem since MemoQ's compatibility with Transit is supposed to be excellent.

I don't know if this feature is included in the cheapest (or even free) version of MemoQ, though, I have the professional edition. And I can't comment on the compatibility issues since I obviously use Transit for my Transit projects.

But maybe you can pack your translation as a Transit project, open it in MemoQ, export it
... See more
MemoQ has this feature too and maybe it would be a solution to Antonin's problem since MemoQ's compatibility with Transit is supposed to be excellent.

I don't know if this feature is included in the cheapest (or even free) version of MemoQ, though, I have the professional edition. And I can't comment on the compatibility issues since I obviously use Transit for my Transit projects.

But maybe you can pack your translation as a Transit project, open it in MemoQ, export it as a bilingual doc-file you can send to your proofreader, then you import the doc-file with his changes back into MemoQ, "deliver" it as a Transit project and import it in Transit. It might work, if your proofreader doesn't mind reviewing your translation in form of a table with 2 columns.

[Edited at 2010-12-15 19:19 GMT]
▲ Collapse


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading workflow in NXT






Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »