Thread poster: veratek
veratek
veratek
Brazil
Local time: 16:15
French to English
+ ...
Jun 20, 2011

This thread is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this forum translators and language professionals can share quotes about translation, tongue twisters and word plays, translation challenges, etc.

All are welcome to participate and to add new items to this and the other areas of the Translator playground; have fun with it! If you need help or would like to propose an addition to the Translator playground, contact site staff through the online support system.

Why not start our own list of funny spelling or usage mistakes we come across?

1) This is a really bazaar story. (comment to a news scandal)

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 21:15
English to Czech
+ ...
German Jun 20, 2011

A colleague of mine nearly made a mistake in German recently:
Instead of "Alle Benutzer werden über ... geschaltet" (all users will be connected over...) he wrote "Alle Benutzer werden geschlachtet" (all users will be slaughtered).
A Freudian slip maybe? Luckily, he was careful enough to spot his typo with possible fatal consequences immediately.

[Upraveno: 2011-06-20 21:34 GMT]

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Market or garden? Jun 20, 2011

The 'bazaar story", bizarre or not, may have been heard in the market!

Every language has its own peculiarities, not all of them well known (well-known) even to native speakers.

The Swedes sometimes make a wrong choice of words such as;
kvalitet, kvalité
vilrum, vilorum

Vital rules for a translator:
Never guess
Never be too sure

veratek
veratek
Brazil
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
silly joke Jun 20, 2011

George Hopkins wrote:

The 'bazaar story", bizarre or not, may have been heard in the market!

I hope you were trying to make a silly joke here...

because the story was not heard in the market, nor does it have anything to do with a market

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:15
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
As in life, beware of false friends... Jun 20, 2011

prokurist => procurer (!?)

This incorrect translation on a company's standard contract had been in use for quite a while before I ever came across it. Apparently, in all that time the prokurist had never objected to being called a panderer!

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Dear veratek, Jun 20, 2011

I was definitely not being silly. Don't take yourself too seriously.

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Re Rudolf's contribution Jun 20, 2011

Beware of words that are similar in two languages.

The example given by Rudolf, if considered in English and Swedish, can be bewildering to say the least.

The Swedish word prokurist in English means holder of procuration or managing clerk; usually very respectable.

The English word procurer in Swedish means kopplare (ie, pimp, or if working for the railway a coupler or shunter) or anskaffare (ie, someone who procures, obtains, buys, acquires, provides). ... See more
Beware of words that are similar in two languages.

The example given by Rudolf, if considered in English and Swedish, can be bewildering to say the least.

The Swedish word prokurist in English means holder of procuration or managing clerk; usually very respectable.

The English word procurer in Swedish means kopplare (ie, pimp, or if working for the railway a coupler or shunter) or anskaffare (ie, someone who procures, obtains, buys, acquires, provides).

Translating is a tricky business.
Collapse

4leavedClover
4leavedClover  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 22:15
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Silly but funny: Jun 20, 2011

One of my favourite ones - 'swimming poop' instead of 'swimming pool'. (Especially if you read that in a hotel advertisement).

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Just use DNS Jun 20, 2011

my Naturally Speaking comes up with good ones almost every paragraph. In particular the Cour de cassation (I leave in French as requested by client) frequently comes up as Cour de castration.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
:D Jun 20, 2011

David Wright wrote:

my Naturally Speaking comes up with good ones almost every paragraph. In particular the Cour de cassation (I leave in French as requested by client) frequently comes up as Cour de castration.

This one's really painful!

Marina Aleyeva
Marina Aleyeva  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 22:15
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
... Jun 20, 2011

"Tomarrow" is definately one of my faverites.

veratek
veratek
Brazil
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
same to you Jun 21, 2011

George Hopkins wrote:

I was definitely not being silly. Don't take yourself too seriously.

May I suggest the same. Don't take yourself and your "bazaar" theories too seriously, it sounds totally ridiculous, but it's just how it sounds...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Muslim attire" Jun 21, 2011

A video about someone having a "Muslim" dress: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3irE2TSOY6M&feature=related
(Please watch 4:00 to 4:50.)

veratek
veratek
Brazil
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hilarious Jun 21, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

A video about someone having a "Muslim" dress: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3irE2TSOY6M&feature=related
(Please watch 4:00 to 4:50.)

thanks, this one is hilarious, the Egyptian LOL

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Diacritics in my language Jun 21, 2011

Omitting diacritics in my language, which people often do using English keyboard patterns, can cause a lot of bizarre and funny distortion of word meaning, e.g.

koža (skin, n.) , koza (goat, n.)

pisati ( to write, v.), pišati ( to piss, v.)

šišati ( to cut hair, v.), sisati ( to suck, v.)

etc.

I see some translators here omitting diacritics when typing, which I find quite unacceptable. Especially because ProZ boards support all
... See more
Omitting diacritics in my language, which people often do using English keyboard patterns, can cause a lot of bizarre and funny distortion of word meaning, e.g.

koža (skin, n.) , koza (goat, n.)

pisati ( to write, v.), pišati ( to piss, v.)

šišati ( to cut hair, v.), sisati ( to suck, v.)

etc.

I see some translators here omitting diacritics when typing, which I find quite unacceptable. Especially because ProZ boards support all sorts of letter formats, which is logical them being translation boards.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Funny spelling or usage mistakes

Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »