Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
Spojené štáty
Local time: 12:05
Člen (2002)
maïarčina -> angličtina
+ ...

MODERÁTOR
Jul 22, 2011

This thread is part of the Translator playground: a place for translators to have fun, to network, to learn, and to hone their translation or linguistic skills. See the announcement here.

Need a quick break from work? In this forum translators and language professionals can share quotes about translation, tongue twisters and word plays, translation challenges, etc.

All are welcome to participate and to add new items to this and the other areas of the Translator playground; have fun with it! If you need help or would like to propose an addition to the Translator playground, contact site staff through the online support system.

(from the Chicago Tribune, by Mark Jacob and Stephan Benzkofer, July 18, 2011)

"There was big news on the punctuation front a few weeks ago: an unfounded rumor that the Oxford University Press was getting rid of the "serial comma." That's the final comma in a series, as used in most books but few newspapers. (The Tribune would write "blood, sweat and tears"; most books would write "blood, sweat, and tears.") If the uproar confounds you, read on:"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-perspec-0717-things-20110714,0,1242712.story

Oscar Rivera
Oscar Rivera
Maïarsko
Local time: 21:05
angličtina -> španielčina
+ ...
TFS! Jul 22, 2011

Thanks for sharing!!! I find this sort of articles very interesting and I like to read the Chicago Tribune too.

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugalsko
Local time: 20:05
George Bernard Shaw Jul 22, 2011

Ildiko Weinberger wrote:

(from the Chicago Tribune, by Mark Jacob and Stephan Benzkofer, July 18, 2011)

"There was big news on the punctuation front a few weeks ago: an unfounded rumor that the Oxford University Press was getting rid of the "serial comma." That's the final comma in a series, as used in most books but few newspapers. (The Tribune would write "blood, sweat and tears"; most books would write "blood, sweat, and tears.") If the uproar confounds you, read on:"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-perspec-0717-things-20110714,0,1242712.story

Something I learned about George Bernard Shaw this week was that he was in the habit of rephrasing entire sentences to avoid hyphenation in his published works.

It is a useful trick to remember!

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 15:05
angličtina
+ ...
. Jul 23, 2011

Allison Wright wrote:

Something I learned about George Bernard Shaw this week was that he was in the habit of rephrasing entire sentences to avoid hyphenation in his published works.

But if you don’t know how it will eventually be typeset in print (or if it will be published in multiple media, especially if it will be published electronically), then it will be an exercise in vain…

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugalsko
Local time: 20:05
GBS Jul 23, 2011

Ambrose Li wrote:

Allison Wright wrote:

But if you don’t know how it will eventually be typeset in print (or if it will be published in multiple media, especially if it will be published electronically), then it will be an exercise in vain…

True, but I believe he was in the habit of doing this at final mark-up stage, thus reinforcing the view that he was a "difficult" man at the best of times.

Toto fórum nemá prideleného nijakého konkrétneho moderátora.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

10 things you might not know about punctuation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »